City of Shellman

General Information

History

Since the building of the Southwestern Railroad till 1887 this town was known as Ward’s Station. Then it was named Shellman in honor of its patron and promoter, Major Shellman, of Macon, GA.

Twelve years ago it numbered but three houses, now it has its churches, its schools, its bank, its warehouses, its many fine stores and elegant and pleasant residences, its well organized society, civil and social, presenting all the aspects of a plucky, thriving town, as it in reality is. Shellman has a good back country, and enjoys a good trade, being in the midst of the level or gently undulating lands and some of the best cotton and corn lands of the country. It is about midway between Macon and Montgomery, AL, and about ten miles east from Cuthbert. It is an incorporated town, under municipal government. The town in forever barred from selling any kind of alcoholic beverage by special condition in the sale of the land upon which it is built. Its people are intelligent, social, hospitable and enterprising, making it altogether a most desirable place either for residence or business. Being near the pine timber region, lumber is cheap and of fine quality, either for building or manufacturing purposes. Brick, also, of good quality are manufactured here, both for home use and shipment.

Shellman ships about seven thousand bales of cotton annually, which gives a pretty good idea of its business.

Its banking facilities are represented by the Shellman Banking company, capital stock $20,000, established 1890; W.J. Oliver. President; T.R. Arthur, cashier.

But the business and material development of Shellman has not been at the expense of other and important interests. Its educational and religious interests have not been neglected. Early in its history its intelligent citizens, recognizing the claims of education upon them, built and organized the Shellman Institute. And while the business life of Shellman has been characterized by great energy and marked success, like enterprise and success have marked her progress in educational matters.

Her churches and Sunday-schools evince like interest in religious affairs. The Methodists and Baptists have both commodious and comfortable houses of worship.

Methodist church pastorRev. H.M. Morrison.
Baptist church pastorRev. R.B. Taylor.